NY Renews is a coalition of nearly 200 environmental, justice, faith, labor and community groups. We fight for good jobs, environmental justice, 100% clean and renewable energy, and worker protection. We are the force behind the nation’s most progressive climate law, the Climate Leadership and Community Protection Act (CLCPA), which was signed into law by Governor Cuomo in 2019. We are now working on the implementation of the CLCPA and advocating for the passage of the Climate and Community Investment Act (CCIA), a just transition bill which raises funds by imposing penalties on polluters. Studies have shown a modest fee on corporate polluters in NY can raise $7B per year. When we reinvest the funds in a renewable economy, we can create 150,000 jobs per year for our state and jump-start the transition we need to a safe future for all.
The Jemez Principles for Democracy guide how we do our work and we have nine points of unity that explain why we do our work:
1. We seek a sustainable future for the earth and its people
2. We recognize climate change represents a serious threat to all and especially to vulnerable people such as workers, people of color, seniors, youth, and the poor.
3. We understand that unchecked corporate power jeopardizes a sustainable future.
4. We can address both the climate crisis and the inequality crisis with the same set of policies.
5. We support rapid movement toward 100% clean renewable energy.
6. Climate protection must serve as a means to greater economic justice and stronger local economies.
7. Climate protection must serve as a means to challenge environmental and racial injustice.
8. We must ensure economic security & job placement program for existing workers and young people.
9. We must ensure community participation and oversight in decision making.